Born in Karachi to a business family and educated in Karachi. After schooling at N.J.V. High School, graduated from D. J. Science College and did Masters in Science from University of Karachi in 1965. After teaching in Adamjee Science College, Karachi joined IBM where he had 30 years national and international career.
- Chairman: Water Environment Forum, Pakistan (2014)
- Chairman: Aamnat Foundation & President Pakistan Literacy Project
- Member: Board of Governors, FAST National University of Computers & Emerging Sciences, Islamabad (1997-to- date) & Member: FAST Executive Committee.
- Member Board of Governors US Pakistan Center for Advance Studies – Water, Mehran University, Jamshoro (2015)
- Country General Manager: IBM Pakistan (1989 to 1999)
- Chairman: Board of Directors Engro Pakistan (2001 to 2002)
- Member: Board of Directors Engro, Pakistan State Oil, American Life & CALCORP
- Overseas Investors Chamber of Commerce and Industry (OICCI) Pakistan. (1994)
- American Business Council (ABC) Pakistan (1992)
- The Reformers, Pakistan (1998-2002)
- Information Technology business for 30 years with IBM in Pakistan, Europe and Middle East. Was Chief Executive of IBM in Pakistan and rpresented company in various business and trade bodies as well as government forums, including Pakistan Investment Conference in New York and World Economic Forum in Davos.
- Chaired Board of Directors Engro Chemicals Ltd (formerly Exxon) and participated as Director on Board of Pakistan State Oil, American Life and Capital Asset Leasing Company, Karachi..
OICCI & ABC
- Elected as President: Overseas Investors Chamber of Commerce & Industry (OICCI) Pakistan and American Business Council of Pakistan
- Organzied 300 Literacy Centers to impart Literacy to over 8,000 women in rural areas of Pakistan. Arranged Computer Literacy Project in vaious schools of Pakistan.
- Gave Solar Energy to flood affected area of Thatta.
- Provided Electricity, Natural Gas, 2-Room Schools, Basic Health nits and Rural roads under Senator’s development funds.
- Founded The Reformer, a civic organization from Karachi.
Water Resource Management for Pakistan:
- Chaired Parliamentary Committee on Water Resources and was Member Board of Governor Pakistan Council of Research in Water Resource.
- Recommended to Pakistan Parliament as Committee Chair, with four members of National Assembly and four members of Senate, based on one year of study, past reports, meetings with high government officials, interviews with all stake holders in all four provinces of Pakistan. Key recommendation of building large hydro Diamer Basha Dam adopted and being implemented by government.
- Participated as Pakistan delegate to World Bank regional dialogue meetings on waters of Himalayas and selected as Knowledge Committee member from Pakistan and as country representative on Indus Forum of South Asia Water Initiative (SAWI)
- Environment of Karachi studied and conducted Stakeholders Conference subsequently a report was prepared and presented to various agencies.
- Environment damages to Defence was studied in Karachi and recommendations made to Parliament and Prime Minister. All recommendations accepted and implemented.
- Served on Selection Board of Sindh University,
- Syndicate of Karachi University, and
- Continue to participate as member Board of Governors, FAST National University.
- Managed Ministry of Information & Broadcasting three time and acted as spokesman of the government and cabinet during that period.
- Chaired Senate Standing Committee on Defence & Defence Production by oversight of Defence & Defence Production facilities of government of Pakistan as well as oversight of Pakistan International Airlines and Civil Aviation Authority of Pakistan.
- Participated as Senate Finance Committee member in recommending various amendments to Pakistan Budgets.
- As member of Senate Foreign Affairs Committee, participated in meetings at home and abroad, with various countries.
- Education: M. Sc. from Karachi University
Government / Parliamentary Career
- Federal Minister for Information & Broadcasting (1993, 2002 & 2007)
- Chairman, Parliamentary Committee on Water Resources (2003 – 2004)
- Federal Minister for Kashmir Affairs & Northern Areas, States & Frontier Regions (1993 & 2002)
- Member, Senate of Pakistan (March 2003 – March 2009)
- Chairman: Standing Committee of Information & Broadcasting (2003-2005)
- Chairman, Standing Committee of Senate on Defence and Defence Production. (2006-2009)
- Member: Standing Committees of Senate on Foreign Affairs; Finance EA & Environment.
- Member: Board of Governors, Pakistan Council of Research in Water Resources.