“I believe we have a responsibility not only to our contemporaries but also to future generations – a responsibility to preserve resources that belong to them as well as to us, and without which none of us can survive. That means we must do much more, and urgently, to prevent or slow down climate change. Every day that we do nothing, or too little, imposes higher costs on our children and our children’s children. Of course, it reminds me of an african proverb the earth is not ours but something we hold in trust for future generations. I hope my generation will be worthy of that trust.”
Kofi Atta Annan
February 27, 2019
The Indian intrusion into the international borders of Pakistan is condemnable and no sovereign country and people will accept this on any pretext. Indian must accept Pakistan as neighbor without its continued interference in its internal affairs by state sponsored terrorisms witnessed in Balochistan where it was caught red-handed. The fact that yesterday the Indian Air Force planes had to hastily retrieve back without causing any damage, speaks of their inability to stand the alert forces of Pakistan armed forces. Pakistan has the capacity and capability to respond to any aggression. We commend the Pakistan AirForce pilots tohave defended our sovereignty against all aggression by shooting down this morning the two Indian Air Force planes and arresting the Indian pilot.
I join the people of Pakistan in condemning this act of hostility of India and ask them to be ashamed of plunging their country and the region in confrontation rather than working to improve the economic condition of their people living in abject poverty.
OIC invitation by the host of incoming meeting UAE to Indian Foreign Minister is a diplomatic trap India has laid amongst the Muslim Ummah which Muslim leadership must recognize and retrieve the invitation forthwith to protect Muslim interests, specially the unarmed Kashmiris fighting for their liberation from the illegal occupation of heavily armed military machinery of India in occupied Kashmir. In the past, such efforts of India have failed and I remember that in 2002 when I represented Pakistan in OIC Foreign Minister’s Conference in Khartoum, we persuaded Qatar to withdraw its resolution to admit India in OIC. Time has come to again defeat India’s entry in OIC, in any form.
Let me remind our brotherly Muslim country UAE, that they should not succumb to this Indian machination which tantamount to rewarding Indian for its killings of thousands of Kashmiri Muslims as well as its aggression against Pakistan.
Nisar A Memon
HINDUTVA BOOK LAUNCH – 20 Feb 2019
Excellencies, Ladies & Gentlemen,
It is a pleasure to be at the Institute – a place of learning, in an august gathering with distinguished speakers, among them – an accomplished soldier, a fine diplomat and man of letters, on an occasion of book launch on an important subject.
ABOUT THE BOOK
Various subjects are addressed in the book but I shall briefly comment on Hindutva & Hindus, Security & Intelligence, Water & Climate Change, India & its neighbors.
Hindutva & Hindus
- Hindutva history of over a century, its actions, impact and myths have been documented in this book in a scholarly manner giving reference of Hindu writers and their books.
- A learned Indian politician Shashi Tharoor expressed his views on Hindutva, as referred in this book, and I quote, “Hindutva seeks to impose a narrow set of beliefs, doctrines and practices on an eclectic and loosely-knit faith, in denial of the considerable latitude traditionally available to believers.” Unquote
- The Indian Constitution, given by its founding fathers, clearly envisages a socialist, secular and democratic republic. However with the rise of Hindutva to power we see India’s transition from its multi-religious heterogenous culture to Hindu Cultural Nationalism, striking at the very foundation of its Constitution.
Security & Intelligence
- Hindutva has been used as a creed to get political control, like many other extremist philosophies like Nazism, Zionism, and Daesh.
- Worldwide, the intelligence plays a vital role in foreign and security matters. The author has studied and analyzed it with specific mention of Ajit Doval the Indian NSA who is a key practitioner of Hindutva towards destabilizing the region with terror operations.
- In line with the Chanakyan guile & deceit, India has extensively used and using state terrorism as means to achieve its hegemony in the region. Book deals it in great detail and makes assertion that RAW has used communication including the fiction writing, cinema, false flag operations as ‘weapons from its arsenal’.
Water & Climate Change
- Challenges like river water, environment & climate change can best be addressed for the benefit of two countries by a dialogue. It was in 1960 that the two countries inked Indus Water Treaty after a protracted negotiation to end the water disputes that erupted after 1947 independence.
- IWT which survived several wars, and referred as a model of water division, came under full attack when Hindutva regime came to New Delhi after the last elections. The book has dealt this under title ‘Unleashing water terrorism on Pakistan’ and goes on to share the threatening statements by Hindutva PM Modi who even gave ultimatum in 2016 to use ‘water as a weapon’.
India & Neighbors
- In foreign relations, India’s record with its neighbors is dismal and disappointing. India did not rest with annexing part of Jammu & Kashmir and Sikkim by force and deceit, but created disputes with all other neighbors, powerful or weak.
- This book gives glimpses of how Hindutva elements in Indian polity have impacted relations with China on Doklam Bhutan, Xinjiang, Tibet and South China Sea.
- Chapter 11 takes the reader on a tour of troubled Region and shows the involvement of Hindutva creating disputes of India with all its neighbors Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan & Sri Lanka. The tour includes BRI & Maritime Silk Road initiatives of China, even these development initiatives are being targeted by Hindutva leadership.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- I will say he is a Pakistani – East, West, South and North all emboded in one.
- He is recognized, for his contribution to foreign policy, foreign relations and security subjects, irrespective of governments in Islamabad, and is our China expert.
- Above all he is a Humble human being: Researcher, historian, man of letters, and a diplomat.
- People of India are again going for elections and will decide their future. Whether they will go the path of peace, prosperity, development or war, misery, and deprivation is for them to decide.
- I quote from my Introduction in the book, “It is for Indians to decide about their destiny but Christians in the region, Buddhist of Bhutan and Muslims of Bangladesh, India and Pakistan need to take cognizance of this creed for protection of their faith, sovereignty and future”.
- People of my generation who desire peace between the two countries are now asking: ‘Will the peace, between the two countries, come in our life time.’ If not, than the coming generations – who have neither known each other and are fed on propaganda and fear – how will they achieve the peace?
- Although 70 years have been lost, we still can make amends and bring the much needed peace for our people.
November 15-16, 2018 Kathmandu:
Pakistan members at HKH Transboundary Cooperation International Consultative Workshop organised at ICIMOD Headquarters.
November 14-15, 2018, Kathmandu: Pakistan delegates at 1st HKH Science-Policy Forum hosted by ICIMOD where HIMAP was discussed.
BOOK LAUNCH IN KARACHI
March 4, 2018; Karachi: Nisar A. Memon launches his book “Insight into the Senate of Pakistan” The launch venue was N.J.V. School where the Senator went for his schooling. The proceeds of the Book launches in Islamabad and Karachi were contributed to N.J.V. School. The meeting was addressed by former Pakistan Federal Minister and Senator Javed Jabbar, former WB Economist Tariq Husain , former Chairman WAPDA Syed Raghib Abbas Shah, Minister of State & Chairperson Benazir Income Support Programme MNA Marvi Memon, former Sindh Chief Minister and Speaker of Sindh Assembly Senator Muzaffar Hussain Shah, representative of Youth Ms Haneen Moosa with a poem, and the author Nisar A. Memon.
Haneen Moosa Poem can be viewed at …………………… https://youtu.be/exdMwGXZI2UBes
Book providing insight into Senate launched
Published in Dawn, March 5th, 2018 …………………….
“This book is all about national security because national security is not just about conventional security we talk about, ie defence and defence protection. In addition to this, the water sector, the environment, climate, economics and social contributors also form part of the national security of Pakistan,” said Mr Memon.
This book also charts the hopes and expectations Mr Memon has of the leadership of the country. “I would like to discuss and engage with the leadership of the country, debate with them as well as work with them to achieve the dignity of our people and strengthen the institutions of Pakistan,” he said.
‘Clash of institutions breeds chaos and there is no value in it.’
“A long, overdue contribution to the relatively limited literature by parliamentarians on parliament in Pakistan,” said former senator Javed Jabbar about the book. He hailed the publication as a reflection of Mr Memon’s exceptional degree of sincerity, intelligence, and an analytical and constructive approach to the Senate and its issues.
“It is a genuine attempt to strengthen and embolden the institution of democracy, an institution that is very important for the federation of Pakistan,” he said.
“The Senate is the political custodian and an elected institution and this book contributes a useful wealth of experience and suggestions. It is a combination of specially written text for this book as well as verbatim quotes from speeches that senator Nisar Memon delivered. It reinforces the critical role of parliamentary committees a number of which he has served.”
Mr Memon’s daughter Marvi Memon, who has served as the chairperson of the Benazir Income Support Programme and a member of the National Assembly of Pakistan since 2013, was also present at the book launch. She spoke about how the book was relevant to the recent Senate elections.
“We, the future politicians of Pakistan, should be able to make positive contributions to parliamentary democracy and make a difference. The new generation can learn a lot from his book. My father’s book demonstrates that his thought process for the state, the country, the flag, is much higher than any political considerations,” she explained.
“Wealth in diversity and tolerance is a lesson my father has taught me which is greatly needed in this country. Clash of institutions breeds chaos and there is no value in it. Parliament is all about consensus building and that is something Insight into the Senate of Pakistan talks about.”
Senator Syed Muzaffar Hussain Shah, who was re-elected in the Senate election held on March 3, also spoke at the launch and recalled his decades long association with Mr Memon; he lauded his untiring efforts to carve a place for himself in the political arena of Pakistan.
Senator Shah said that in any position of power, when part of the executive branch of the government, senator Memon made significant contributions be it in the field of water, environment, literacy, defence and security or climate change. “His book provides insight into how the Senate works,” he explained.
Former chairman of Wapda Raghib Shah and Tariq Husain, who has worked at the World Bank for 30 years in public policy formulation and implementation, also spoke at the event.
Published in Dawn, March 5th, 2018 Haneen Rafi
BOOK LAUNCH in ISLAMABAD
February 17, 2018; Islamabad: Nisar A. Memon launches his book “Insight into the Senate of Pakistan” The meeting was addressed by former Pakistan President & Chairman Senate Wasim Sajjad, Shoaib Sultan Khan, Chairman Rural Support Program, MNA Marvi Memon, Minister of State & Chairperson Benazir Income Support Programme, Iftikhar Ullah Babar former Secretary Senate, Hanan Abbasi President National Youth Assembly and author Nisar A.Memon.
The book review comments have been made by: Sartaj Aziz Deputy Chairman Planning Commission; Farooq Naek former Chairman Senate; Sardar Masood Khan President of AJK; Roshan Barucha former: Senator & Balochistan Minister and Waqar Masood former Finance Secretary.
US must exercise caution in relations with its longtime ally
Article by Nisar A Memon published in Pakistan Observor January, 2018 ……………………………………………………………….. See full article under News / Nisar
August 1, 2017; Islamabad: Nisar A Memon article ‘Pakistan’s Water Security’ published in Pakistan Observer today.
August 1, 2017; Islamabad: Water Environment Forum releases its 1st WEF Brief Paper on Water Security …………………. See under News/WEF
August 1, 2017: Islamabad Water Environment Forum launches new Website, Blog, Twitter, Facebook …………….See under News/WEF
July 25, 2017: Islamabad Nisar A Memon article published in daily Pakistan Observer on Water Security ……………………. See under News / Nisar
July 2017; Karachi: Nisar A Memon speaks to SOUTHASIA monthly magazine on Kalabagh Dam……………. See under News / Nisar
March 2017; Islamabad: Proceedings Report of WEF National Conference on Water and Environment: Sustainable Development in Changing Climate .……………………….See under Reports
December 2016; Karachi: Nisar A Memon writes on Future of Food Security in SOUTHASIA monthly magazine…….. See under News / Nisar
December 8, 2016; Islamabad: Nisar A Memon at SDPI ‘s 19th Sustainable Development Conference on theme of ‘Envisaging
the Future Together’. Addressed on ‘Regional Cooperation in the light of Paris Climate Agreement’ .……. See under News / Nisar
November 2016; Karachi: Nisar A Memon’s interview on Kashmir published in SOUTHASIA monthly magazine……… See under News / Nisar
November 28, 2016; Peshawar: Nisar A Memon at National Conference on Thinking Climate Change Adaptation in Water and Farming with Conference theme of THINK-ADAPT at Climate Change Center, University of Agriculture, Peshawar. Addressed on ‘Climate change impact on Water Governance & Security’
November 26, 2016; Islamabad: Nisar A Memon at International Association of Lions Clubs Islamabad on the occasion of Charter Presentation Ceremony to Leo Club.
November 18, 2016; Faisalabad: Nisar A Memon at International Conference on Sustainable Agriculture in Pakistan jointly organized by U.S. – Pakistan Center for Advanced Studies in Agriculture and Food Security University of Agriculture, Faisalabad Pakistan and University of California, Davis, USA. Addressed on “Need of LTRES* under Climate Change Scenarios.”
*Long Term Research Experiments
WEF Conference Day 3- 19th October, 2016: Federal Climate Change Minister addressing the Conference
WEF Conference Day 2 – 18th October, 2016: Conference Speakers with Federal Minister for Food Security & Minister of State Chairman BISP
WEF Conference Day 1 – 17th October, 2016: Participants with Federal Minister of Information, Broadcasting & Heritage
WEF Conference on Climate Change was held as planned from 17th to 19th October 2016 in Islamabad.
June 1, 2016 Inauguration of South Asia Groundwater Forum, Jaipur by lighting a candle by each country._________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
June 2016, Jaipur; South Asia Groundwater Forum Pakistan delegation with Rafik of World Bank from left to right 1st row: Shahid, Laila, Zakir, Rafik, Nisar, Ali, Hina and in 2nd row: Riaz, Arif, Hammad, Nawaz.
Delhi 12-13 May, 2016: Nisar A Memon addressing Plenary Session of Indo-Pak Track II dialogue on building climate resilience, energy water resilience and disaster risk reduction.
Nisar A Memon chairing session on enhancing water resilience and climate change adaptation
The Delhi Declaration of Track II Dialogue.
May 2016, Karachi; Pakistan Society for Training and Development (PSTD) celebrated its 50 years with a theme of ‘Rethink, Reimagine‘
Nisar A. Memon, former President PSTD in a group photo with people recognized for their contribution by the current President Aamir Niazi
Former Federal Minister of Information, Nisar A. Memon, invited by the Government of Kingdom of Morocco to Africa, South-South Cooperation at Crans Montana Forum, Dakhla from 17th-22nd March, 2016.
Nisar attends Mountain Future Conference in Kunming, China from 1st to 4th March 2016.
Feb 2016: Nisar visits Bhutan with ICIMOD management and later attends Indus Basin Forum in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Nisar A Memon with Speaker of Assembly of Kingdom of Bhutan and in next picture with former Prime Minister & Agriculture Minister.
August, 2015: Indus Forum Scientific Meeting in Qingdao, China
March 2015 Group photo at South Asia Water Initiative (SAWI)- Indus Basin Forum Conference at Lahore.
Islamabad 2016: Reception for Grand Mufti of Al-Aqsa Mosque by Ambassador of Palestine H.E. Mr. Walid Abu Ali.